This information is going to get outdated quickly.
Current status on Askja volcano
- Askja continues to be on Yellow alert.
- Dyke does not seems to have any progress moving into Askja volcano system. Reason why that is are unknown.
- Earthquake activity appears to have dropped in Askja for the past 24 hour period.
Current status on Bárðarbunga volcano
- Largest earthquake for the past 24 hours is a magnitude 5,4 earthquake that took place at 07:03 UTC. It took place in south-west part of Bárðarbunga volcano. It did appear clearly on my geophones and they can be viewed here.
- Eruption has been confirmed to have taken place on 23-August-2014. That eruption did not manage to break the trough the glacier since it is 400 to 600 meters thick were the eruption took place.
- Most earthquake activity is taking place on 15 km long line in the Dyke, starting at the location were the eruption took place and goes some 15 km south from that location. Dyke does not seems to be moving north at the moment.
- Eruption is now considered more likely in Bárðarbunga volcano it self than before.
- Last large eruption that took place in Bárðarbunga volcano was in 1717. According to Global Volcanism Program that eruption was an VEI 3 eruption.
- Eruption can happen in slopes of Bárðarbunga volcano, also in its caldera. The glacier in the caldera is up to 800 meters thick (+- 100 meters).
- Earthquake activity is stable, with over 1000 to 2000 earthquakes recorded daily so far.
Icelandic Met Office has released GPS data and it can be viewed here.
There is going to be a storm in Iceland on Sunday. This means fewer earthquakes are going to be detected due the wind noise.
News bits in English
Updates during the weekend
I am going to post updates during the weekends. I do however need to take a little break since I’ve been working and writing about Bárðarbunga for the past two weeks. So updates on weekends are going to be shorter and less detailed than on working days (Monday – Fridays). If eruption happens I am going to post information about that eruption soon as I become aware of it and details soon as possible.
Article updated at 17:52 UTC.
Article updated at 18:10 UTC.
Article updated at 19:01 UTC. I corrected information about the dyke earthquake location.